Computer Engineering Vs Dedicated online Courses.
Many of us argue on whether should we enroll in college to study software engineering or just take a couple months course online. Keep in mind I am talking about only computer engineering, not something as critical such as medical field. Also, I am also a big supporter of “DO YOU!” principle.
I have had privilege of studding IT engineering as Web Development main focus in Finland. So, I would like to share few pointers on curriculum.
Here are the curriculum:
- First Year:
- Basics of Mathematics and Physics
- Introduction to Programming and Software Development (In our case it was Java)
- Native language(Finnish In My case, cause our study lang was english)
- Engineering English(Its more like how to make resumes, elevator pitch, presentations,..)
- Courses on OS and Hardware(just some basics)
- Intro to HTML and CSS Programming
- Calculus and Physics in Data Analysis
- Web Programming Project (U team up with friends and do a project together,15 credits)
Note: 1 ECTS (credit point) = 27 study hr
2. Second Year:
- Web Development Frameworks(Every year it changes but its always trending ones)
- Mobile Programming with Native Technologies (Think it was android with java)
- Web- and Hybrid Technologies in Mobile Programming (JS techs for instance react-native )
- Applied Mathematics and Physics in Programming
- Mobile Development Project(Final project like previously where couple of courses cross over to create big project. 15 credits)
3. Third Year:
- Introduction to iOs Programming
- Components of IoT Application
- Data Storage and Data Analysis
- Research and Development Work
- Towards Innovations and Entrepreneurship
- Working Life Skills
4. Fourth Year:
Around the end of third year couple of companies look for intern, many students get hired. Who don’t get hired can also participate in training programs like Game Labs, Edu Lab. BTW I joined game lab.
- Company Oriented Projects I, II and III (30 credits total)
- Practical training(30 credits)
This was curriculum of Oulu UAS’s degree in IT program.
U can also take extra courses in
- Advance Networking
- Embedded Programming
I don’t remember which year/in which program but Usability,Version Controls, SEO optimization, UX design are also part of regular course. They are there somewhere.
Programming Language/Frameworks I learned (random order):
Now, any online courses u buy or take is very focused. I myself have taken numerous online courses. They do teach u and brilliant tutors but they still lack complete package. U can’t blame them either. Just know that there’s more to it then learn coding in an Engineering course.
And did I mention making connections, new friends, college life, good memories.
My suggestion for those who are not enrolled in Engineering program, please use these curriculum as reference, download free PDF books from internet on relevant topics. Build up your resume.